Saturday, June 28, 2014
Saturday, February 18, 2012
Some prints were made with found objects, like wheat grass, some tried rolling the ink on and using various pointed or wide, flat tools to scrape the ink away in a variety of lines and shapes. Then there were those of us who wanted to draw and/or paint a design onto the plate and print that, which took some tweaking to get to work. We ultimately found that brushing Golden's Retarding Medium onto the plate before brushing on the ink helped release the print more successfully onto the paper. (If anyone out there has a different or better method, please pass it along!) These initial prints can be incorporated into collage, layered with further drawing, painting, lettering or even another layer of printing. Luce is incorporating a series of her small prints into an accordion book (below). Yes, it was a lot of fun. Play is good! I hope to be able to post some of the finished products from these prints. (Note: some of these prints may not be in their proper orientation. Since they are still unfinished and unsigned, I was not certain.)
Saturday, December 31, 2011
Recently my friend Luce Zolna showed me a book binding project that she called 'Secret Belgian Binding' and gave me a link to directions. It intrigued me since it was similar to a Coptic binding, (stitched on the spine and lays open flat - great for sketchbook journals see You Tube instructions here) but had a decorative, covered spine. Earlier this year I was experimenting with some different techniques for the word 'Courage' for a small works exhibit. I had a few versions that I liked parts of but not enough to complete and submit for an exhibit. I needed a new journal for a book called 'Dream Culture' that a friend and I are working through (the author suggested having a journal just for this book) and realized that the word and the size of the paper were perfect for this journal. I like making handmade journals to use everyday and don't necessarily want them to be too thick, so I can use them up and make a new one every so often! This is was a great way to salvage those experiments that had meaning for me and put them to a practical use.
At the same time my (22 yr old) son was taking on an incredibly ambitious Christmas gift project for the love of his life (an illustrated children's story type book, hand bound with leather, no less!) He had never done any kind of bookbinding before, whatsoever, but had a journal I made for him a few years ago that he liked. He liked the look of this Secret Belgian Binding too so we figured we'd try it together. - That was a very interesting Mom-son project, I have to say. - So below are pics of the covers and spines. It took me a bit to figure out the instructions, as I am more a visual person; (a YouTube video would have been quicker for me) but in the end, the process was not too difficult. I also had a book with some instructions in it, so combined I was able to figure it out. I may need to refine my technique (there are always lots of tricks that make things work smoother,) so will ask my friend Luce about her books. Basically, the front and back cover are sort of 'woven' together with the spine and then the sections of folded pages are sewn to it.
My son was using some leather (old samples from a leather furniture store) that was a bit thick, which made the corners a little difficult. He also decided to de-boss a raised image on the cover (R & M), which was an added step, but I think it came out beautifully (especially for the first time!). His girl was super impressed and I am proud of the labor of love that he threw himself into (I don't think I have his permission to show any of the illustrated pages, but they were great.)
I am really happy with mine as well and will try it again. I used a combination of gesso for texture, with walnut ink and acrylic paints on Arches Text Wove; great paper to work with.